Thursday, November 20, 2008

A Hat and Scarf for Sarah

I have immersed myself into the fine craft of knitting. It seems to be soothing to me and is a good venue for releasing my mind from all the junk that seems to swirl around in it. I actually finished 3 projects. I had bought a knitting kit from the clearance section at Michael's to make a little purse for Sarah. I figured for $5.00 it came with needles, yarn and instruction on learning to knit. I already know the basic but I thought it would come as good practice. When we purchased the kit, Sarah decided she also wanted a hat and scarf, so I bought yarn for that too. All 3 came out really cute. I did not follow a pattern for the hat and scarf. I followed techniques that I found online, my learn to knit book and a knitting show on PBS. The hat has a checker board or weave like pattern at the bottom of it. On top I created a flower with a pom-pom in the middle and chained loops as the petals. It also has 2 ties down the sides that I crocheted. The scarf is just the stockinette stitch with fringe at the bottom. Here is Sarah and modeling the finished product.


We had our first flakes of snow this week. It looked so pretty and magical falling through the air. We had a little accumulation, but it was gone by morning. Sarah and Joey were so excited. Sarah kept shouting "Let's build a snowman. It's snowing!". As for Joey I think this will be his first memory of snow. He tried saying the word, but could not master the "SN" part, so it came out as "No! No!". I think he had it confused with the word "Blow", because every time he said "No! No!" it was followed by a "Pfffffhhhh" sound and Joey blowing. It was so cute. I took a photo of the 2 looking out the back door to watch the snow. Also, I love the the image of my two babies in their cuddly PJ's with feet!

One one last note I have a brag about Sarah. This week we were going to the school supply store that had the advent calendar I mentioned in the previous post.

Before we left, I told Sarah, "We are going to the school supply store to buy an Advent Calendar and not anything else, Ok?" She nodded." I did not think that she understood. So I said to her again, "Please do not ask me to buy anything when we go or we will have to leave, do you understand?"

She replied, "I understand". So off we went.

When we got there we looked around and I finally found the advent calendar I had been looking for. Sarah and Joey had been very good in the store thus far. When it was time to check out and go, Sarah asked me if we could go look at the candy and I told her yes. Sarah had kept here word so far and I figured I would go ahead and buy some candy for her and Joey since they were being so good. I handed Joey a Mickey Mouse Pez dispenser and Sarah the Hello Kitty Pez dispenser she was starring at.

She said "That's OK, No thanks". She took it from my hands and placed it back on the shelf. I paid for our items and then we headed out the door.

While we were getting in the car, Sarah said "I can just share with Joey if that's Ok Mom..."

It was then that I realized she had kept her word and understood what I had asked her. the whole time we were in the store she NEVER asked me for anything. She understood! I felt so bad for underestimating her and proud of her at the same time. This is definitely one of those moments that makes being a parent worth it!

No comments:

Followers